BCP/NRSV

BCP/NRSV

April 16, 2008

The Pope & the Death Penalty

I find it incredibly ironic that on the same day Pope Benedict is in the USA and talking about the preservation of human life at all stages, the Supreme Court of our nation issues a ruling that lethal injection is not an inhumane way to execute criminals.

I'm not a fan of the death penalty, nor am I a huge supporter of the Catholic Bishop of Rome (all the while respecting his office and the people he represents). But I do find some irony in the crossing of these two messages.

If we, as a nation, say we believe that life is valuable, why do we then have the death penalty? Just because someone else did not value a human life, do we then devalue theirs? I'm not saying I want those people walking the streets of DC or anywhere else, but I believe that Jesus said, "Do unto others as you would have them do to you" not "as they did to someone else."

Just something to think about...

No comments: